Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Parallel Consciousness: A Play by the 2nd year Drama Students!

I had quite an emotionally charged Master Class with my 2nd year babies today. They have spent the last 5 weeks preparing a play that they wrote themselves: Parallel Consciousness. They asked me to attend their performance tonight. I am not in the habit of attending drama performances at the college. I feel that it puts me under too much pressure to give my opinion of their work. So i said No. They responded quite....uhm......emotionally. I then suggested they offer me a comp to watch them. That was the first explosion! There were a few more explosions! We settled down, I hinted that I may (after all) attend the performance, but proceded to ask them WHY they thought I would attend. I was quite hurt by their responses! Not ONE of them gave me the reason I sought: I care for them.

It's my own fault though. I'm very good at pretending that I do not care. I just assumed everyone could see through it. They then spent a large part of the day discussing this class......and as usual they came to all the WRONG conclusions about me. And as usual, Mr Q (that's me) heard about it in technicoloured detail! It was thus with great difficulty and much sadness that I attended tonight's performance (accompanied by my 2 bodyguards: Aine and Shaun).

PARALLEL CONSCIOUSNESS:

I promised my babies I would write what I felt (it's easier than saying it out loud). It was very difficult getting into the play (with all the nervous energy I was feeling). Besides my butterflies, it was also one of those pieces where you had to wait till the very end for the explanation. So you sat there wondering what the hell was happening the whole way through. I didn't mind that at all though. Congratulations to Tommi for not even winking once while I was trying my best to distract her. The bulk of the cast were frozen in time as we entered the chapel, and they were required to STAY IN THAT POSITION. I was closest to Tommi! Thumbs up to the toys for their singing, and their comedic characterisation! They kept me interested the whole time. The humans (dead and alive): you did a sterling job in holding the piece together, and making a dramatic statement! Beautiful journey. Theoca and the boys in black: I LOVED the way you guys were willing to do the comedy bits that were a bit embarassing to the actors! I was embarassed for you guys sometimes!!!! Well done. Jethro: WOW! Flip, I hope I haven't left anyone out!

I LOVED the Hollywood ending - I'm a sucker for cheap thrills!

It was difficult.....but I'm glad I went. To my 2nd years: don't assume ANYTHING about me. If nothing else. I'm unpredictable.

Mwah! (that's gay for xxx)

No comments:

Post a Comment