Thursday, August 12, 2010

"NOISES OFF" at Reddam House

My students are gonna be so proud. I watched a play tonight!!! No Music! Can you believe it! I loved it. It was a farce by Michael Frayn. Noises Off is set in a theatre: final rehearsal a few hours before opening (which ends up being the dress rehearsal and tech call as well. Sound familiar?)

In the first half we see the disastrous rehearsal: was very entertaining and funny sometimes. Second half is the show! Now I love cheap thrills (along the lines of There's Something About Mary) and this was filled with them. I was so relieved when the whole thing ended because my stomach muscles (????) were aching, and my tear ducts were empty.

I have seen MANY high school productions. This one was well-rehearsed, had good direction and a strong cast. Lighting and fx cues were on time!

What I loved most was the passion (I hate using this word!) these kids have. There is something to be learned from high school drama students. Sure, they are technically insecure and don't really know what they are doing; but they have PASSION and ENERGY.

What happens to this passion when they get to Tertiary level then? My job is to teach technique and intention. Who is responsible for keeping the love of theatre and singing alive? Surely I cannot be expected to take responsibility for this! The onus is on the student to keep his love alive. Learning technique is a difficult and emotional journey. Sometimes soul destroying.

I have told my students that if they allow ANYBODY to kill their love/passion/drive, they did not love enough to start with. To my babies at college: I love you, but you and only you can keep yourself going. Never forget why you decided to study performance in the first place. And.....if by chance you do (forget), go watch a high school show. I am so inspired right now.....

No comments:

Post a Comment