Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Soulmates

A soulmate or soul mate is a person with whom one has a feeling of deep and natural affinity, love, intimacy, sexuality, spirituality, and/or compatibility
Wikipedia

The word 'soulmate' has stuck in my head eversince Germandt used it in his blog a few weeks ago (www.germandtgeldenhuys.blogspot.com). The concept of the elusive soulmate has never appealed to me. The idea that we are but 1 half of a whole..... I don't know. I like to think that I am complete all by myself. My relationship with my partner confirmed my belief. We are NOT AT ALL alike, yet we make each other extremely happy. When I'm emotional, scared, unhappy, he makes it better; and at those times I feel like the 2 of us are 1 being!!! So is that it? Is K my soulmate???

Yor, this stuff is KAK deep for so early in the morning (it's exactly 06h53). I hope it doesn't make my brain shut down....

To answer my own question: I think not! If we really are 1 being that has split into 2, would there not be major similarities? Especially in habits?? Would we not feel the same things at the same time? Would we not have the same desires? And I'm talking about little things! For example: we never have coffee together. We will drink something together, but when I desire a cup of coffee, he desires a Coke Light. When I want to Karaoke, he wants to go to the beach - I HATE the beach and he HATES Karaoke!!! 

Maybe I'm thinking about this in the wrong way. Should I be looking at our souls and not our habits? Even there, we are night and day - I shall not explore our souls publicly, but trust that we are DIFFERENT!

Now, let's say that by some fucked up act of nature we discover and get to know the elusive soulmate. Is that really what will be best for us? Someone who has the same desires, habits, drive, desire for intimacy...... What would we learn from the soulmate as a partner? To settle, accept, never strive for change?

On the other hand: what would the soulmate offer? Understanding, acceptance, solace, unconditional (and non-judgemental) love, perfect intimacy..... Would having all our deepest desires fulfilled not lead to the necessary change we all need to undergo to become the best self we would be? Or would we become so comfi that it may lead to us becoming complacent and mundane?

All these questions and no answers! I'm starting to feel like my blog is a long monologue mense (well the 5 that follow). Please tell me what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment