Sunday, September 12, 2010

ok well as one door closes another one opens!!! safe

I don't think I have ever been hurt so deeply before by one of my students. I wrote a very difficult (private) message to a student informing her that I can no longer teach her. This young lady means SO MUCH to me. I always felt honoured to be a part of her journey. But, she really has treated me like dog shit this year. So, for my own sanity, I told her she was amazing, I love her company, and thanked her for helping me along my journey as a teacher... and then informed her that I could not teach her anymore. The title of my blog is her current Facebook status....

How do I feel? Like a fucken idiot. It feels like all the energy and personal attention I gave to this girl went unnoticed. Don't get me wrong, she is sounding AMAZING! She heard what I said to her as a teacher. It seems, though, that she NEVER heard what I told her as a friend and human being. I am sad this morning.

However, I made a conscious decision NOT to allow anything to get me down again. I am an optimist dammit. I am a firm believer of "it's better to have loved and lost than not to have loved at all". So I will miss her, but what have I learned from this young lady?

1. Never judge a book by its cover - this girl has UNLIMITED potential and is blessed with way too much talent, and a good heart...... all hidden under the most vulgar exterior.
2. Never stop having fun - sy is 'n bok vir 'n jol. She KNOWS how to have fun under ANY circumstances!
3. To yourself be true - she says what she wants when she wants to say it, no matter what the consequences
4. Never give up on the search for knowledge - she has such a STRONG DESIRE to LEARN. As a result, she learns new things FAST!
5. I KICK ASS as a teacher!

So this morning I am a bit sad, but she has enriched my life for a couple of years, and the lessons she taught me were important for me at the time. I may not be sad after all, it was a good experience.

Yep, feeling good. It always helps to just write it down!

No comments:

Post a Comment