Thursday, November 11, 2010

For Good.... HAPPY WEEDING!!!

For Good is the title of one of my favourite songs ever. It's from the musical Wicked. I went into studio shortly after Lester's death and recorded it as a gift to my family. It gave me great comfort!

I've heard it said
That people come into our lives for a reason
Bringing something we must learn
And we are led
To those who help us most to grow
If we let them
And we help them in return
Well, I don't know if I believe that's true
But I know I'm who I am today
Because I knew you...
 
Like a comet pulled from orbit
As it passes a sun
Like a stream that meets a boulder
Halfway through the wood
Who can say if I've been changed for the better?
But because I knew you
I have been changed for good

 
It well may be
That we will never meet again
In this lifetime
So let me say before we part
So much of me
Is made of what I learned from you
You'll be with me
Like a handprint on my heart
And now whatever way our stories end
I know you have re-written mine
By being my friend...
 
Like a ship blown from its mooring
By a wind off the sea
Like a seed dropped by a skybird
In a distant wood
Who can say if I've been changed for the better?
But because I knew you
I have been changed for good

 

And just to clear the air
I ask forgiveness
For the things I've done you blame me for

But then, I guess we know
There's blame to share

And none of it seems to matter anymore 

The choruses (the bits in bold print) are repeated and the song then ends.

The bit that speaks to me now is the beginning of the second verse. "...that we may never meet again..." This is a song about endings. The end of beautiful relationships! I never realised that until recently. I used to think that it was a song that just spoke about the beauty of love/friendship - which is what this blog is about....

Everything happens at the right time...... I get told that alot lately. It's right! We meet people, they enrich our lives.... If we allow them to, they help us along the journey of self-discovery. And as long as those relationships bear fruit, we need to continue along our path with those people. However, even the most beautiful tree can become a weed. Think, for example, of the Jacaranda tree. What a beauty, especially when it flowers! My aunt had a Jacaranda in her front garden for years. Eventually, she had it chopped down, because it killed everything around it! Including her King Protea bush that took YEARS to grow. Jacarandas (by the way) are banned in South Africa now. We are not allowed to plant or grow them anymore....

The secret is to know when to let go. To recognise that no matter how beautiful those purple flowers are, in my South African garden, Jacaranda is a weed.... Weeds do not bear healthy fruit/flowers. They bear BAD flowers that just help them multiply and create MORE WEEDS to suck the life out of everything that is good and wholesome....

I started weeding recently. It is DIFFICULT, but necessary.....

No comments:

Post a Comment