Monday, January 31, 2011

3 weeks later...

So I've been living with my mom for 3 weeks now. I was rather embarassed when I had to admit to this fact initially. A 32 year old man who moved out of home before he was 20 now back at mom's! She's loving it though. In some respects, so am I. My mom cooks everyday, and I bring leftovers to work. My hungry students look at me with such envy daily. One of them opened my lunchbox today - after I had finished my food - just to taste the sauce of the tomato bredie I had brought to work today.

Another privilege is that I'm getting to know my little neice who lives at mom's. Mika. I have never been terribly fond of children, but then I have never had a child live in the same house as me. Mika is a beautiful baby. She turns 2 in April.


I never thought that I would say that I love a child (brat - that's what I used to call them), but Mika Jada Quickfall has crawled under my skin. I am totally addicted to this little girl. Until she takes a crap! Then I don't wanna know her. The last nappy I cleaned was sis-in-law's (well ex now) baby - who started high school this year! Actually, when I think of it, that little girl and her brother were the first 2 kids I was addicted to. Funny, when we broke up, I never considered the effect our break up would have on my relationship with the in-laws. I miss them. Especially the kids. No, all of them.....

It surprises me how much I miss my ex-in-laws. I spent so much time at their homes! I played an important role in all the family get-togethers. When I wasn't there, they would miss me! They accepted me (all of them) with open arms as a son, a brother and an uncle. NO QUESTIONS ASKED! When the shit hit the fan, I would go and visit them, and I'd feel better. Whenever anything good or bad happened in my life, they were the first people to call and visit: to help celebrate or to help accross a difficult patch in my path. When Lester died, they were all still grieveing the recent loss of their dad. But they flew to Johannesburg to be with ME at my brother's funeral. I really miss them!

I was gonna write more, but now I'm slightly otherwise..... I shall continue later.......

No comments:

Post a Comment