Saturday, October 9, 2010

CERES

I was invited to Ceres to sing in a concert last night. The Anglican church here is 150 years old, and they have been celebrating all year. Last night's concert was a concert of instrumental ensembles! BEAUTIFUL music performed passionately by people of ALL ages......and me! I did my typical "I'm from Mitchell's Plain and I'm proud" humorous musical spoofs..... I was a hit - if I say so myself. The most exciting thing about last night was what I wore, well ONE of the outfits I wore:


Now I know it's a shit quality pic AND a shit pic of me, BUT.....this waistcoat has not been able to close in over 18 months. Not only did it close, but I performed in it. YAYNESS!!!

I decided to get up this morning to watch the sunrise. Now I have NEVER watched the sunrise before. I've had plenty opportunity to watch it, especially on the cruises I've been on, but NEVER. So I set my alarm for 5am on a Sunday morning!!! When it went off I nearly DIED! I wanted to go back to sleep straight away! But then I thought to myself: this KAK coloured mentality of missing beautiful things just to VREK in bed is OVER!! NO MORE!!! So I reluctantly got up, got dressed and went out to my car. I took a drive up to a beautiful spot in the mountain: the locals last night told me EXACTLY where to go. It's at the top of a ravine. When I arrived it was COLD and DARK! I couldn't see a thing!! But I heard the river SPLASHING down below. WOW!! So i found myself a little rock to sit on, snuggled (as best as I could) in my hoody and waited.  Little hint: if you EVER want to watch a sunrise, TAKE A BLANKET!!! The sky started changing colour.....to blue. blue? BLUE!? Where are my ambers and reds? BLUE!?!? What had happened was that there were very low, very dense clouds in Ceres this morning, EXACTLY where the locals told me to look to see the sun..... I was SO UNHAPPY! I was in the damn mountain at freakin 5 am to watch my first ever sunrise DAMMIT! And Mother Universe decided to hide it from me. Mense, not even a touch of amber!!! I then calmed myself down and decided that I would just wake up with nature this morning. So I looked down into the ravine at the river: wow! Looked up to the mountain peaks: WOW! And just listened to nature rise slowly from a deep sleep..... It was beautiful:


Now I believe that there is always something to be learned from EVERY experience. Though I was disappointed, I think the world was telling me a few things this morning.

I never knew that I would enjoy being out in nature. I'm a city girl. I wanna SHOP! Does this mean that I've suppressed my love for the outdoors? When I think of this, maybe I have. My favourite holidays ever were: The Kruger National Park, Tiffindel (a ski resort), Namibia (especially the quads in the desert) and river tubing down the Tsitsikama River. Am I just bloody stupid? How did I NOT notice that I loved being outside?

The other (more important lesson for me) is this: We are not meant to walk the earth solo, we are meant to have a partner. Our soulmate, love, the one.....whatever you want to call it. Now this morning, I decided to go out and experience what I now believe to be one of the most beautiful moments ever: the moment when the night turns to day! The universe decided to keep this from me today even though I made the effort to go and see its beauty.... Why? Because I was NOT with my love! My first ever sunrise will be with the man I love, the one I have committed MY ENTIRE LIFE TOO! Unfortunately, he's not with me in Ceres today.... I know that one morning soon, the two of us will wake up, grab a blanket and a flask of coffee, find a beautiful spot and watch our very first sunrise.....TOGETHER! I cannot WAIT!!!

2 comments:

  1. Jeremy,
    Loved your post. You have inspired me to go and catch a sunrise, with a blankie, a flask of hot choccy and that someone special. The blankie and hot choc will be easy, the last item may take several years....
    w

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! Make sure there are NO CLOUDS before you leave... I must say though, that if my man was with me I probably wouldn't have minded the lack of the sunrise!!! Lotsa love, J

    ReplyDelete